Although perhaps better known for his tenure as a Circuit Court Judge, Senator Ed Weant was a leader for Carroll County in the 1960s.
Born in Westminster on April 9, 1918, Weant would be a product of Westminster Public Schools then Western Maryland College and four years of service in the United States Army before making his way to the University of Maryland School of Law and earning his law degree in 1949.
His career in politics would be launched with service as a Maryland State Senator following the 1958 elections. Weant would serve as a member of the Maryland Senate from 1959-1965 and unusually become the Vice Chairman of the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee immediately upon his taking office in 1959. His time in the Senate would see numerous other successes including service as Chair of the Prison Administration Committee from 1963-1965 and selection by various advocacy organizations as Legislator of the Year in 1962.
Weant would leave the Maryland Senate in 1965 upon his appointment as Circuit Court Judge for Carroll County by then Governor John Millard Tawes. He’d subsequently serve the remainder of his career in public service on the bench until retiring after serving as Judge on the Maryland Court of Special Appeals from 1979-1988.
Always also active in the private sector in addition to the public sector, Weant would serve in numerous volunteer and community service capacities through the years. Among others endeavors, he’d serve as President of the Carroll County Chamber of Commerce, President of the Westminster Chamber of Commerce, Commander of the Carroll Post of the American Legion, Trustee of the Episcopal Ministries to the Aging, and Vestryman of the Church of the Ascension.
Before all of his accomplishments as a jurist, however, Weant would serve with distinction and is now remembered fondly for his tenure in the Maryland Senate over the tumultuous decade that was the 1960s.